Thursday, September 10, 2009

september, friends and a coffee mug

When September rolls around it usually brings a few things to mind for me. The end of summer, football season (GO EAGLES!!!), Green Day, (thanks Billy Joe) and back to school. Wednesday night our school district hosted Back to School Night and I ran into a fellow baseball coach I hadn't seen since the beginning of summer. We stood in the hallway amongst the elementary school projects catching up on things. Talked about the kids and fall baseball and as always, work. Part of the reason we fell out of touch was our mode of communication. We, like many out there tended to only use email, this works fine until your email no longer exists. I explained the change which naturally led to the question, "So, what are you doing now?" "I am developing a non-profit for disaster relief", I replied. Suddenly, that all to familiar look came over his face,,, "Uh,,, how does one go about doing something like that?" I answered my usual way, "It's a long process but I have great support backing me up along the way" An easy reply to set my friends mind at ease. Fact is, the details of this venture are staggering.

I was up very late Wednesday night, thinking about the question posed to me and what I'm working on everyday. The research, the marketing, the details of the business plan. Building a Board of Directors, prospecting for a funding base, not to mention, the stress of keeping my family afloat as I follow this dream. I could go on and on but here's the deal. I AM NO DIFFERENT THAN ANYONE ELSE WHO HAD OR HAS A DREAM. I have the same excitement of building something with all the fears that comes along with it. I try to recognize my weaknesses and look for guidance from those who can turn them into strengths. I am driven but what I've seen and learned and the coffee mug that fuels my caffeine fix everyday pictured above, says it all. (thank you very much Gandhi)

If you see that change is needed,,,,, it's has to start somewhere. We all have the power, we just have to unleash it.

DD
P.S. September is also known as NPM or National Preparedness Month, check out the site developed by FEMA and Citizens Corps to better prepare ourselves, our children and our businesses for just about anything - http://www.ready.gov/

No comments: