Wednesday, February 17, 2010

reaction to proaction

I think I'm going to let my home owners, flood and automobile insurance run out. That slow leak in my front tire, the screech from my brake pads and that crunching sound in my transmission will surely fix itself. I refuse to wear a seat-belt, eat right, exercise or pay my bills. Brush my teeth, forget about it, what for?? I am going to walk around flaunting huge amounts of cash in some of the most crime ridden areas in the country and yes,,, I am going to run with scissors.

Kidding of course... This behavior would be looked at as irresponsible. We take proactive and preventative measures everyday so we're not hit with unexpected costs and so bigger and more serious things won't happen down the line. Fact is, we don't even tend to question these measures. We understand the concepts and have all walked down the path of learning the hard way at least once in our lives.

However, when it comes to dealing with natural disasters, we are for the most part, reactive. How much do you respond after an event hits the headlines? How much money did you give after Hurricane Katrina, the Indonesian Tsunami and the recent earthquake in Haiti? Now I'm not minimizing the need for funds and support immediately after a tragedy strikes. I just feel as a society we need to put more focus on preventative measures to lessen the affects when a tragedy strikes. Much like we do with so many other things in our lives.
 
I can't help but think that if we applied this train of thought and funding to the deteriorating levees, a better warning system and a hurting infrastructure before the tragedies struck, we would have saved so much money, so much pain and so many lives.

DD

As always, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts so,,, don't be shy.

No comments: