Sunday, February 21, 2010

"the good stuff" Part 1

Today I am starting something new on Each Word for US All. I was inspired by a comment from a follower and I really like the idea. When it comes to the nonprofit world and especially the disaster relief portion of that world, I sometimes find myself waist deep in stories of tragedy and suffering. This is my gig and my choice, I knew what was out there and that feeds my passion for the change I'm trying to accomplish. A huge part of my job is to inform my supporters and prospective supporters of those tragedies and need, to inspire the change that's needed. The drawback is the constant exposure of bad news that I sort through daily,,, that can be tough on anybody.

One thing I've noticed over the course of the last eight months is a silver lining. I've found, while sorting through the reports of tragedy, there are stories of good that sometimes make their way to certain headlines. I admit, these stories aren't as easy to find as the stories of suffering but they're out there if you spend enough time looking. I find these insights inspirational and I have decided to share a story a week with you in honor of these groups and individuals who are taking a passion to create a change they feel is needed.

With the world in the middle of the Winter Olympics right now, I felt it was very fitting to share this article I 
found on the athletes who use this surge into the spotlight to help others. 
Check it out here - http://bit.ly/bb76lM
It's all very inspiring when you think about the dedication to what they are trying to accomplish in the Olympics alone. I think when you add this additional level of commitment to what they already do, it really demonstrates the overall definition of a "hero" in my mind. Congratulations to all the athletes taking that extra step to bring awareness and to inspire others. You all win gold in the eyes of the organizations and the individuals you have chosen to help.

Like I said, I have decided to add a story like this to share on a weekly basis. Have you stumbled upon articles like this you'd like to share? If so, send them my way, I'll be glad to take a moment for a little inspirational boost and share your story with others.

DD

No comments: