Friday, January 29, 2010

getting it

Yesterday, The Hard Rock Cafe in Philadelphia hosted an event for charities in the area. They have made a conscious decision to support nonprofits and local charities with a presence in their establishment on Friday nights combined with the local music scene. I saw it firsthand a few weeks back when I saw a friends band play there. I really like what they are doing and look forward to working with them. I met some great people involved with other charities giving me priceless insight on the challenges they are facing with donors, corporate sponsorships and events. It also gave me a new audience to discuss my organization and what we're all about.
 
You see, I get really excited when I'm talking to somebody about this organization, That moment when they get it. When they can see the difference I'm trying to bring to the table.

When they understand I support the Red Cross for being a tried and trusted first-responder and I'm not trying to be them.

When they see I'm not bashing the government for what I see as limitations to what they can do.

When I mention Katrina and they think back to what happened to New Orleans years ago and more importantly when they think about New Orleans today and they see how much still needs to be done.

That's when  it starts getting clearer. That's when I can tell them stories about places like LaPorte, Indiana, Cedar Rapids, IA, DeKalb County, GA and even in my hometown of Yardley, PA. Places you would refer to as Anytown, USA, where people, are still suffering from a disaster that happened years ago.
 
Then, they realize that first-responders are busy dealing with a new tragedy in a new town and FEMA takes time reviewing mitigation plans.

That's when the problem slaps them in the face. It's the gap that occurs for so many between disaster and recovery. The gap that encompasses thousands, and it's everywhere in this country. And then,, they really get what I'm trying to do. Fill that gap and find out what caused that gap. Take care of those in that gap so they can get back to normal and find solutions so it isn't so extreme the next time. To find and support a solution so it doesn't happen again, ever.
   
I thank the Hard Rock for the opportunity yesterday, they made it a great day for me as well as the nonprofit community in general. They are taking a stand for the good of those in need and following up with real support. They get it.

DD
 

No comments: