Sunday, January 31, 2010

believe

I have a lot of respect for the individuals before me and standing with me who have made the decision to do something different. Something new and uncharted, something to shake things up. To pluck an idea from nothing and make it a reality could possibly be the most draining thing one can put themselves through. To lay it on the line and not waiver from your convictions sets you up to be seen differently. Some don't understand it and never will. Others give you that smile and tell you how they will help, just to forget about their promise the moment you walk away. Then there are some you truly touch and they show it for no other reason but belief in what you're trying to accomplish.

To believe is not a new concept but something I feel strongly about. People generally have a belief of some sort that they run their lives by. It may be religious or based on an experience but it usually guides them through their day-to-day lives and lives in the background of their every thought and decision. I can remember years ago shouting "BELIEVE"! from the bleachers at my oldest daughters softball games. I saw how the players were empowered to forge ahead and to accomplish what they may have thought was lost. They embraced the word and the thought and incorporated it on T-Shirts and signs and chants from the dugout. It brought a feeling of power that kept their chins up. Still coaching with my son and my youngest daughter today, I still shout that word because I feel without it you can't accomplish a thing.

The dreamers of yesterday inspire me today and part of their legacy will be their belief in making a change. As much as I am thankful for the people who confirm my belief with belief of their own, I am just as thankful for the ones who don't. These are the folks that continue to make me think and question my own beliefs. It brings me back to my reasons and my convictions and furthers my belief in making others believe.
Believe it,,, or not.

DD

No comments: