Thursday, March 4, 2010

five dollars

Yesterday I was greeted at my PO Box by a little envelope. I was especially taken by this envelope for a few reasons. First, the name on the sweet return address label with the a flower on it was unfamiliar. Secondly, the Bart Simpson stamp. I admit, I'm a sucker for the Simpson's. There's just something about that cartoon family, especially Bart that I feel connected to. I'm smiling just thinking about them and their wonderful, loving dysfunction. Last but not least was the underside of the envelope. The flap was securely closed by moistening the glue in some way but an extra step of adding a two inch strip of scotch tape across the pointy end as to insure added security showed me how important this envelope was to the person who was sending it. I opened the envelope to reveal a check with a donation of five dollars made out to Each One for US All.

Now keep in mind, I never heard of the name on the envelope before, I searched high and low for connections to it but didn't find a thing. I can only imagine who these kind folks are that chose to contribute something to a cause they somehow found out about. Judging from what I have, the envelope and the donation itself, I couldn't help but conjure up an image of who they are. You know when you've heard about someone you never met or talk to someone on the phone without seeing a face? You can't help but imagine what they look like. So in my head is my vision of who they are and more importantly what they chose to do.

No matter what they look like, what they have or where they're from is really irrelevant to me. For me, it's the act of caring that inspires. To take the time to write a check, address an envelope and pop it in the mail for the benefit of someone less fortunate shows that these folks have wisdom. The wisdom to know that no matter what your situation is or what you are living without, there's always someone somewhere in worse shape than you.

It's funny, a year ago I would've never imagined being so inspired by five dollars. I might not know what their faces look like but I can see the size of their hearts and I thank them for reminding me what this is all about.

DD

No comments: